Transferring Debts using a Will

estate planning lawyer Vernal Utah

Can I Give My Debts to Someone in My Will?

If you are planning on leaving your assets to your family after you die, you may want to include provisions for paying any outstanding debts. Most people owe money during their lives, and most of them will leave a part of it behind. The amount you can leave to heirs depends on the type of debt you owe.

Secured and Unsecured debts

There are two types of debts: secured and unsecured. The unsecured category includes credit-card bills and medical expenses. The secured category involves loans you have on the property such as a car or a house. If you do not pay your loans, your creditors can take your property to settle the balance.

The executor of an estate

Some states require the executor of an estate to pay off all of the estate’s unsecured debts. In some cases, the executor will only pay some unsecured debts. This is determined by the state’s probate laws. However, the executor can also leave instructions in the will about the payment of unsecured debts.

Consult a lawyer

If you owe money, you should consult a lawyer to determine the best way to go about paying it. You can do this in a will if you plan to leave your assets to your heirs. If you do not plan to leave your heirs any monetary assets, you do not need to include a provision in your will for paying your debts.

Joint account

If you have a joint account, your spouse or other beneficiaries are responsible for the account. If you do not have a joint account, you can use an authorized user, such as your parent or other family members, to be able to use your account.

Free consultation from one of the best Law Firms

If you have questions, you can get a free consultation with the Best Estate Planning Lawyers.

Parklin Law – Estate Planning Lawyer
5772 W 8030 S, # N206
West Jordan UT 84081
(801) 618-0699
Parklin Law Official Website
Read more articles

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice and is simply an answer to a question and that if legal advice is sought to contact a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction.

When you need a Lawyer, contact this law firm:

Parklin Law

5772 W 8030 S, # N206
West Jordan UT 84081
(801) 618-0699

Vernal, Utah

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Vernal, Utah
East entrance of Vernal (2012)

East entrance of Vernal (2012)
Location within Uintah County and Utah

Location within Uintah County and Utah
Coordinates: 40°27′17″N 109°32′8″WCoordinates40°27′17″N 109°32′8″W
Country United States
State Utah
County Uintah
Settled 1876
Named for Vernal

 • Mayor Doug Hammond
as of January 2018[1]

 • Total 4.62 sq mi (11.97 km2)
 • Land 4.62 sq mi (11.97 km2)
 • Water 0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)

5,328 ft (1,624 m)

 • Total 9,089
 • Estimate 

 • Density 2,258.33/sq mi (871.95/km2)
Time zone UTC−7 (Mountain (MST))
 • Summer (DST) UTC−6 (MDT)
ZIP codes
Area code 435
FIPS code 49-80090[4]
GNIS feature ID 1433885[5]

Vernal, the county seat and largest city in Uintah County is in northeastern Utah, approximately 175 miles (280 km) east of Salt Lake City and 20 miles (32 km) west of the Colorado border.[6] As of the 2010 census, the city population was 9,089. The population has since grown to 10,370 as of the 2018 population estimate.[7]

No data matched by id...
No data matched by id...
No data matched by id...
No data matched by id...
No data matched by id...
No data matched by id...
No data matched by id...
No data matched by id...

Comments are closed.